An essential part to making progress is remaining consistent – and without motivation and logging your results this can’t be done. As distracting as your iPhone may be, it may very well be the device to help take your physical fitness to the next level. The iTunes application store has a number of fitness applications to help keep track of and motivate you towards achieving your fitness objectives. Throughout today’s post we’ll be covering our top ten favourite iPhone fitness applications – enjoy!
1. Charity Miles – Love the idea of a win-win situation? Is the idea of helping the less fortunate through your fitness feats means of motivation? Check out Charity Miles today, and become a fitness sponsor. Charity Miles logs the amount of time you spend walking, running and biking and donates the accumulation of your balance to the charity of your choice. You’ll earn 10c per 1.6km you bike, and 25c per 1.6km you run or walk – and remember, #everymilecounts – try it out today!
2. iMuscle 2 – Whilst it mightn’t be a free application, it offers excellent value and is available on both iPhone and iPad. iMuscle enables the user to identify individual muscles as they please and select from a range of 3D diagrams which demonstrate appropriate exercises to target that muscle group. This app really does virtually everything you need, allowing you to save your routine, set goals and track your progress. iMuscle works conveniently offline, so you don’t have to worry about exhausting your data plan over the space of your workout.
3. TempoRun – Need to up the tempo of your morning run? Try TempoRun of course! Regarded as the best music-fitness hybrid app, TempoRun allows the user to load their own songs and ranks them according to their running speed! Operating in conjunction with SoundCloud this application even allows you to download new songs as you run to help freshen up your playlist. Whilst the wrong type of music can throw off your rhythm, the right type can give you that last boost of energy you need to set a new PB. So charge up your iPhone, download the app and get going!
4. Hundred PushUps – This app offers a step-by-step 6-week tutorial to achieving 100 consecutive pushups. Designed for users of all fitness levels, Hundred Pushups details a fitness plan which requires roughly 30 minutes of your time per week making it incredibly useful for those who struggle to find time for fitness. This application, released by SoftwareX, offers a number of complimentary apps, namely Two Hundred Situps, Twenty Chinups, and more to try out once you’ve reach the big hundred!
5. Zombies, Run! – Now, this one’s clever! I mean, seriously.. what more motivation could you need to start exercising than to outrun a horde of zombies!? Co-created by award winning novelist, Naomi Alderman, Zombies Run takes an audio and visual stance in which the user completes missions, collects humans and other supplies, and once their home can begin rebuilding and growing their base.
6. Couch to 5K – Or as the developer’s like to cleverly call it – C25K – offers a similar premise to that of Hundred Pushups, in an 8 week step-by step plan in which you will be trained 3 days a week, 30 minutes a day until you are able to run 5kms at the end of the program. Hopefully this review is enough to persuade you into giving this free app a go, especially if you aren’t a fan of running.
7. Obstacles XRT – Extreme Reality Training – I guess the same old exercises get boring over time.. am I right? Boring no more! Obstacles XRT offers an at-home soloution to that problem! Each course includes a short warm-up followed by a minimum of a 20-minute exercise routine – which you can of course do from the comfort of your own home without the need for any special equipment.
8. Gorilla Workout – Is the term “best workout ever”, something you’d like to experience? Gorilla Workout might be for you – available on both iPad and iPhone – it offers an in-built personal training service tailored to your fitness levels and objectives; catering to all whether you wish to lose weight, gain muscle or feel a little more energetic.
9. Pocket Yoga – You know.. I never could understand the hype surrounding yoga – I mean, who could honestly assume a few simple stretches would be even half as physically demanding as your gym workout? So, upon visiting Thailand I decided to give yoga a go – now I want you to picture this. You’re me, staring out across the luscious bay overlooking a gorgeous mountainous serene, it’s a beautiful summers day.. and you’re absolutely drenched in sweat within an hour – physically exhausted. Yup, yoga works, take my word for it! Pocket Yoga offers three yoga routines of varying difficulty, beautifully demonstrated for you to view – it’s as good as an actual class!
10. Fitocracy – “Like fitness for nerds” – and it really is! Fitocracy enables people who share the same fitness passion to find each other, share progress and promote an overall healthy wellbeing. Track your progress, share your accomplishments and earn points doing what you love most – staying fit!