Savoury Quinoa and Vegetable Muffins – the perfect high protein snack!
Is Quinoa the new Rice?
Quinoa has recently become a popular substitute for rice in many dishes and it also makes a great baking ingredient, as you’ll see with today’s recipe. It’s jam-packed with protein, all nine essen
tial amino acids, and is also high in fibre, iron, and manganese. It also boasts a uniquely nutty flavour and a texture somewhere between fluffy and chewy. Did we mention that it shares rice’s talent of making you feel full quickly? Tick.
Our Savoury Quinoa and Vegetable Muffins are sure to please the whole family. They’re also a cost-effective, nutritious and portable snack. You can find Quinoa at most supermarkets and health food stores. Give this a try:
What You’ll Need:
- 1/2 cup white quinoa
- 1/4 cup red quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1/4 cup shallots, diced
- 1/4 cup carrot, grated
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 long green chilli, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- Salt (we recommend Himalaya Salt), cracked pepper and paprika to taste
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius.
- In a small pot, bring the mix of red and white quinoa and water to a boil, reduce the heat, close with a lid, and simmer until quinoa is light and fluffy (about 15 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- When the quinoa is cooled, place it in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and fold until evenly combined. Check for spice and add more needed.
- Scoop the mixture into a lightly greased muffin tin.
- Pop into the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops are slightly browned.
- Pack them as a morning or afternoon snack, or serve them up on a plate with some Greek yoghurt and sweet chilli sauce!